Britten Sinfonia are currently recruiting for young musicians to apply to become members of Britten Sinfonia Academy and for composers to join our Composer Hub for the 2019-20 season.
Britten Sinfonia Academy (BSA) is a high level chamber ensemble for talented secondary school aged musicians from the across the east of England. Each year Academy members take part in four special projects over eight weekends, learning how to perform collaboratively and trying out new skills, styles and musical genres whilst being mentored side by side by Britten Sinfonia players. The Academy have performed at the Barbican Centre, Saffron Hall, Latitude Festival, Cambridge’s Fitzwilliam Museum, Jesus College and West Road Concert Hall, Walthamstow Garden Party, and Norwich’s St Andrew’s Hall.
Each year’s projects are tailored to its participants. BSA have acted in museums, improvised with laptop artists, led family workshops, performed at festivals and premiered a number of new works.
Recent examples include:
- Learning to improvise with specialist musicians
- Trying out contemporary, folk and jazz music
- Performing at Latitude Festival
- Rehearsing under the baton of conductor Sir Mark Elder
- Presenting a family arts project in three Cambridge museums
- Performing the world premiere of their own specially commissioned music
Britten Sinfonia also runs a Composer Hub alongside the Academy for budding young composers. Participants develop their creative, technical and stylistic skills through a programme of tailored compositional briefs, mentoring from renowned professionals, rehearsals, recordings and public performance opportunities.
Who can apply?
BSA recruits for: violin | viola | cello | double bass | flute | oboe | clarinet | bassoon | horn | trumpet | trombone | percussion | harp | piano | composers
Applicants should be:
- Secondary school aged
- Grade 7 standard or above
- based in the east of England
- Dynamic and passionate musicians willing to challenge themselves
- Willing to travel to courses across the east of England including Cambridge, Norwich, Saffron Walden and London
How to apply
To apply you must submit a completed online application form by 5pm on Friday 1 February 2019.
For full details on the program please visit brittensinfonia.com/creative-learning.