In this section you can find out more information about the range of extra-curricular opportunities available from the Hub and resources to help parents support their child’s musical education needs.
Weekly Ensembles and Bands
Playing in an ensemble or band is a really important part of learning to play a musical instrument and is often the most enjoyable and socially rewarding part of the process. There are many opportunities for young people to join an ensemble near them.
- Bring young people together
- Help young people grow in harmony
- Enable young people to develop respect for each other
- Respect musicianship and rewards commitment
Ensembles run by the Music Service
The Music Service works towards providing a musical pathway for all its young players in as many parts of the County that it can, for any instrument at every stage of learning. The ensembles/bands run by the Music Service are:
- Aylsham Community Ensemble
- Holt Training Strings
- Dereham Training Strings
- West Norfolk String Ensemble
- Norfolk Schools’ Training Wind Band
- Norwich String Ensemble
- Norfolk Schools’ Wind Band
- Norfolk Students’ Cello Academy
- Norfolk County Symphonic Wind Band
- Norfolk County Youth Orchestra (NCYO)
- Norfolk Students’ Jazz Orchestra
- Norfolk County Strings
To sign up to an ensemble, please contact email@example.com.
More information on these and other ensembles county-wide can be found on our ensemble map.
The Music Service has over 60 specialist music teachers providing instrumental and vocal lessons for over 7000 pupils in Norfolk schools. Alongside this we also offer affordable instrument hire, practical music workshops, eLearning, advice, training and support.
In-school lessons can be on an individual, paired or group basis and are provided weekly.
Throughout the year the Music Service also offer opportunities for young people to hear and perform with professional musicians, groups and orchestras, and to get together and perform with other young people in large venues around the county. Read more >>
The following schemes exist to help schools and individual musicians find financial support to progress their music education.
- Take It Away: Take It Away offers interest-free loans for the purchase of musical instruments. Find out more >> takeitaway.org.uk
- The Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme: The Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme enables pupils having music lessons at LEA-maintained schools to purchase musical instruments without paying VAT. Read more >> AIPSGuide (pdf)
Music activities run by the Norfolk Music Hub are now Children’s University Learning Destinations. This means that any child with a Children’s University passport can collect learning credits by taking part in our ensembles, workshops, and other music activities! Find out more >>
Charanga Musical School is the most significant new Primary music resource for a decade which is being used by over 100 Primary schools across Norfolk. It’s a living cloud-based resource that brings together great music, modern pedagogy and the latest educational technology. It supports all aspects of music in school including the new music curriculum, as well as providing children and their families with opportunities to continue learning and exploring music at home through Music World. Read more >>
Photographic Consent Form
Click to download: Norfolk Music Hub Photographic Consent Form
We regularly provide news of extra-curricular activities, workshops and opportunities for your child in all areas of Norfolk. To keep up-to-date, you can sign up to our mailing list, check our news feed and newsletters, or follow us on facebook or twitter.