We are delighted to be launching a project for the second half of spring term in partnership with English Touring Opera. These brand new cross-curricular resources are suitable for key stage 2 across Norfolk’s primary settings.
Al-Haytham’s Light Written and Directed by Bradley Travis. Music composed by Iain Farrington
An ONLINE opera
Meet Ibn al-Haytham, one of the most important scientists ever to live. In this online, curriculum led opera from English Touring Opera we will delve into the great scientific discoveries of the Islamic Golden Age, discovering the beauty and mystery of light; what it is, what it does for us, how various it is, how it refracts and reflects…
Told through song, lots of fun, and practical experiments we join Ibn al-Haytham in making one of the most striking discoveries of all time – how we see!
- The opera features interactive songs, experiments, and suggested participation.
- The opera will be released to schools in 6 online episodes with a teacher’s pack including 6 lesson plans with science, maths, history curriculum links and 3 short music lesson plans.
- Teachers are invited to attend an online CPD as Introduction to the material on Thursday 21st January 2021, from 4pm-5pm.
- Each episode will be released weekly on Norfolk Music Hub’s tab on Charanga a week in advance for teachers to view in advance of sharing with classes.
- The first episode will be available from January 21st 2021 for the project to commence after February half term.
- A teacher pack will be available to schools from January 21st 2021.
- Additional online resources on the History of Opera and singing Opera will be provided by the Come & Sing Company.
- Each episode will be between 5-8 minutes.
- The lessons including watching an episode are designed to be no longer than 45 minutes.
Register your school to take part
The data you provide on this form will be used by data processors contracted by Norfolk County Council and stored within internal servers in the UK. If the media includes images of a child or young person it will not be used two years after the date the image was taken. Data requests should be referred in the first instance to Alison Bell who can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.